NERO Atlanta

October 23, 2018, 12:58:48 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

NERO Atlanta » Forum » Out of Game Whatnot » OOG NERO Things (Moderator: Knight of Evendarr) » New To LARP

Author Topic: New To LARP  (Read 333 times)

Offline Clavain

• Apprentice
New To LARP
« on: March 07, 2018, 10:04:19 AM »
My wife and I are interested in coming to our first LARP. We have no experience and will be coming into the game completely new. Any advice for fresh players on the best way to experience and learn the game? Also, how many people should we expect to be attending an event? Any insight or advice is appreciated.

Offline Tyrangel Plot

• Adventurer
Re: New To LARP
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2018, 11:18:05 AM »
Hi there!

You're in for a crazy ride, let me start with that. :)

Our March event will likely pull down between 60 and 80 players and staff.   

As for advice, there's two schools of thought on how to experience your 1st game. 
On one hand, you can come in with characters made and ready to go, jump in with both feet and see where your experience takes you. People on this board will be happy to help you out with character and gear suggestions and support.  We love our new players at NERO Atlanta and want them to have an awesome time. 
On the other you can sign up to NPC your 1st event and experience the back of the house work, playing different critters and roles and being part of the entertainment staff for the weekend.

NPC-ing the event is my suggestion, though many people do both.  With NPC-ing you get to try a variety of different skills and fighting styles, but you miss out on some of the awe of being immersed your 1st event.   

Whichever way you decide, here are a few good tips:

Wear comfortable shoes. Unless you ad your wife are runners or hikers, you will be on your feet more than you expect you will be.  Shoes are important; so be comfortable, even if they don't look the part.

Bring extra socks.  Nothing is worse than wet shoes except wet socks.  Bring double what you think you need, and then bring 2 more pair.   

Don't be afraid to engage people.  Walk up and introduce yourself, both in and out of play.  If you are NPC-ing, don't hesitate to jump in and start fighting.  Along this same vein, don't make your 1st character a brooding assassin with a dark past who will only sit in a shadowy corner and wait for folks to come talk to you.   It never goes well.   You don't have to be bubbly or completely extroverted, but you should be ready to reach out and ask whats going on or if you can help out somehow.

Don't be afraid to ask someone you are fighting "What does that do?".  NERO has a ton of rules and little quirks you will not pick up your 1st event, and its OK to ask what a spell did that just hit you.  When in doubt, just drop like you were knocked out and someone will be by to heal you up soon.

Another don't be afraid one:  Don't be afraid to ask any sorts of questions.  Game mechanics, world history, general knowledge stuff,  all of it.  Everyone will help out, and someone will likely take you under their wing and have you run with them and their group for the weekend.  If you come and full time NPC our Story Staff and our experienced Monster Town folks will be there for you. 

Don't worry if your costume isn't perfect or your accessories aren't just so.   If you come from a cosplay or costuming background, awesome, but if you don't we all started there and it'll be ok.  If your weapons aren't the best, someone may lend you some, or you can often borrow from the NPC selection in monster town. 

I'm completely serious about the socks.   You'll thank me.   I mean it.  Socks. 

I'll be looking at this thread throughout the day and can help you out with any question you may have, please don't hesitate to post them here. 

Welcome to our game!
Jason Delbridge, Head of Tyrangel Story. 

This Message brought to you by The Silverhand Message  Service.

Offline Clavain

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2018, 03:30:20 PM »
Thank you for the great advice. Especially regarding socks, blistered feet are the worst. A couple of quick questions I thought to ask.

1. My wife is not interested in combat but more interested in the RP aspect. Is that viable? If so, do you have a recommendation on what class would fit best.

2. Are there classes or builds that are more beginner friendly than others?

Thanks for all your help.

Offline Tyrangel Plot

• Adventurer
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2018, 04:22:41 PM »
Fighters and Rogues are both pretty beginner friendly.  Rogues have more options later to spread out and do a bit of everything, but at base level they are usually "Hit it from the back with weapons", or "Do alchemy at it if it breathes".  Fighters are more limited, but have better Body points (hit points) and don't care if they hit from the front or back.

For a low to no combat character, you can go for a Scholar class and do Earth magic for healing and protections.  You have to learn the spell verbals, but if not in combat you can use a book with verbals written in it, and break it out like a spellbook you are studying when you cast. 

Or, you can set up as a person who makes things (weapon and armor smith, potions, scrolls, alchemy, traps).  To be the most effective production character, you are looking at certain races (Dwarf, Mystic Wood Elf, Gypsy) , but different classes are better at different production skills. 

Here is a link to our rulebook, which can detail build costs and class specifics http://nerolarp.com/NERO_LARP_RULES_ARCHIVES/NERO_RuleBook-9th-Edition-V3.5-Y2015.pdf

And last but not least, you start the game around level 5 and until you're level 10 you can change anything about your character between events.  You can start off a Dwarf Fighter and hate it, and come back as a Sarr Rogue, then dismiss that and go Elf Templar.  And after 10th level there are magics in game that can change your race and class if you decide in play to follow a different path. 

I hope this helps!
-Jason again.

And here is a link to our racial changes that came about a few years back, these rules take precedence over the rulebook ones.  http://nerolarp.com/e107_files/downloads/NERO_LARP_Race_Rules_Changes_2013_V1.2.pdf 

This Message brought to you by The Silverhand Message  Service.

Offline mattie

• Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2018, 12:00:42 PM »
I took the "jump in with both feet" method in the fall and it's been fun! Everyone is super supportive and helpful for newbies. I got sooo much free stuff my first event.

There's plenty of non combat options, including just try to avoid the battles. They do tend to do a couple of big field battles during the weekend. Things go SUPER late into the night so they haven't done too much in the morning for the events I've been to. There were some "cows" at an ungodly hour but it was all in good fun. The "animals" can't get into your cabin if you close the door well.

Comfy shoes, and lots of socks are important. Alot of girls wear skirts, or other swooshy things. I think guys are wearing sweatpants with tunics over them.

The bathrooms at this site are in a different building from the cabin as a warning. Not a bad walk, but I'd wear a coat in the mornings.

Getting to the cabins, I think it's all right turns after you get into the park.

The thing I'm still having trouble with is armor and dying/body point situation. I might make some flashcards for myself !

If you want another beginners perspective on things just let me know!

Offline Clavain

• Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2018, 10:13:53 PM »
Thanks for the great info Mattie. Any mistakes or misconceptions you had your 1st time that we can avaoid?

Offline mattie

• Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2018, 12:02:52 AM »
I can't think of anything particularly, which means I might still have a few of those surprises in store.

Aside from people really are friendly and want to talk with you. They know you're new, but they want to learn about your character too. They tried to avoid asking me about backstory for the most part, and my panicked look probably encouraged that.

Plot won't come find you. Mostly because as new players they don't want to force you into something/don't know how to hook your character's interest. So talk to people, look for the people who look busy or occupied.

Oh, and monsters, always search the beasties. Sometimes they'll just drop the gold but always search them. Healers can get you back up, but gold and components are Important.

Offline amberlee0211

• Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2018, 01:50:31 PM »

Plot won't come find you. Mostly because as new players they don't want to force you into something/don't know how to hook your character's interest.

Send in a character history/group history and character goals to Plot. People always forget about this and then start to feel bored. If you provide plot with information, you will start getting mod hooks and plot.