NERO Atlanta

September 24, 2017, 06:32:25 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

NERO Atlanta » Forum » Out of Game Whatnot » OOG NERO Things (Moderator: Knight of Evendarr) » New Player questions

Author Topic: New Player questions  (Read 103 times)

Offline Uraak

• Apprentice
  • Rouge.
New Player questions
« on: July 28, 2017, 11:54:37 PM »
     I am a new player to the whole LARP thing, and I am really excited to join this one! but I have a couple basic questions. I would like to know how a new player is brought into the story line of Avalon, are they just put into the story and forced to ask a couple basic questions and wait for an event, or is there an optional beginners quest that a new player can complete in order to get the feel of how the NERO LARP is played?

My next question is about weapons, I understand that NERO uses boffer weapons and latex? or is it just foam? I have a NERF sword that in this larp would be classified as a short sword could I be able to use that sort of foam weapon? I could shave of the brand names and cover it with ducktape and add leather to the grip to make it look more Larpy :P

One more question, whats the average amount of people that attend these events?

If someone could answer these questions for me I would greatly appreciate it and will look forward to fighting along side you in the field of BATTLE :viking2:   

Offline Rhys Stormwing

• Elder Adventurer
Re: New Player questions
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2017, 12:02:33 PM »
     I am a new player to the whole LARP thing, and I am really excited to join this one! but I have a couple basic questions. I would like to know how a new player is brought into the story line of Avalon, are they just put into the story and forced to ask a couple basic questions and wait for an event, or is there an optional beginners quest that a new player can complete in order to get the feel of how the NERO LARP is played?
as for this question it is a little of both.  you will learn as you play, but people will answer question on here & in game as best as they can. I generally recommend that a 1st time player come & NPC an event to learn about the game.

My next question is about weapons, I understand that NERO uses boffer weapons and latex? or is it just foam? I have a NERF sword that in this larp would be classified as a short sword could I be able to use that sort of foam weapon? I could shave of the brand names and cover it with ducktape and add leather to the grip to make it look more Larpy :P

sorry, but a NERF sword is not NERO safe. there are players who can make you a nice buffer or plasti-dip weapon for a reasonable price or i can send you a link or two for reputable companies to order from.

One more question, whats the average amount of people that attend these event?
i think we average 60-75 an event.

If someone could answer these questions for me I would greatly appreciate it and will look forward to fighting along side you in the field of BATTLE :viking2:

hope this helps
" Is it better to outmonster the monster or be quietly devoured by it?" - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Rhovonar

• Journeyman
  • Lucius Gray
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2017, 01:26:10 PM »

One more question, whats the average amount of people that attend these events?

Going to try to answer the best I can here but I am also newish:
Best way to get involved in a something that is happening is by jumping on mods or asking questions and getting involved in plots you enjoy. It will be harder to get involved in national plot lines, but not impossible. Just look for the openings in game to interact with them.

On the weapon I would suggest just making a basic boffer weapon or even ask around and see if you can borrow a basic weapon for your first event. Most people here in atlanta would be more than happy to help. If you do decide to make you own there is a guide in the rulebook on how to make one and when putting on the tape put it on going down the blade and not spiraling around.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask .
Rhovonar, Squire to the Baroness Amaris

Offline Kimberly

• Journeyman
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2017, 07:23:55 PM »
1) Some games do a new player encounter but generally it isn't story based and more of a "get used to combat" kinda thing. I don't think Atlanta does one at the moment. The story of Avalon is complex with a long history. Generally I advise trying to learn some basics of what's going on in the world (brief overview of current national plot lines) and the local story for this chapter. There is history and documents and in play boards on websites and face book that you can read if you're feeling up to it.

2) Most NERF weapons I've played with are really too hard to pass most larp safety checks. Personally I recommend trying to borrow something for your first event. You may decide your original weapon of chose isn't right or you want to try something else. While you *can* build a weapon based on the directions on the web site the difference between that and something decent really does change what you want to do. (I personally can't actually swing a heavy weapon due to larp injuries but can and actively use a light weapon for combat.)

If you really want your own weapon I don't recommend you looking around websites for mass fabricated latex weapons - honestly you'll likely get something that's not safe, won't last, isn't to Nero standards, or would cost more than a hand crafted weapons. We have several people here at our chapter that make weapons in various budgets and there are others that ship. I can give you a list of awesome crafters if you decide to go that route. Depending on where you are located I'm happy to have people come to my "shop" and I'll show you how to make a weapon within your material budget.

3) Our events this year have ranged from 60-80+ players. You can log on to "Nerolarponline.com" and select "view chapter information". Use the drop down to get to Atlanta and it will show you number of players for events. (We use this as part of our determining factor when traveling as well.) There are a lot of factors that effect number of players. Generally summer events are smaller and season/campaign openers/closers are the biggest.

Feel free to ask any other questions.
Kimberly

Offline Uraak

• Apprentice
  • Rouge.
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2017, 08:59:49 PM »
     I would like to make an edged weapon. Is that possible with boffer material? I have the NERF N-Force dual detachable foam sword.

Offline Kimberly

• Journeyman
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2017, 10:10:24 PM »
Basic "boffer" materials such as what is listed in the rule book will generally make round weapons.
"Plasti-dip" weapons can have edges and look much more sword like. There is some crazy cool stuff out there people are doing with foam an plasti-dip.

I don't know enough about your specific nerf weapon and am not a safety marshal for Nero so I can't give you a positive yes or no. But I know most nerf weapons I'v handled seem to have a foam density of 6lbs or more. Most weapons used in larps are 2lbs density.

Offline Uraak

• Apprentice
  • Rouge.
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2017, 10:22:41 PM »
     Okay! Thank you I'll look into this plasti-dip but is it Nero approved? Thanks a lot!

Offline Kimberly

• Journeyman
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2017, 07:36:45 AM »
Plasti-dip is just a style of crafting but it is a style accepted by Nero. No one can tell you if a individual weapon is Nero approved before touching it. On the other hand if you get weapons from someone that crafts to Nero standards and generally gets approved you're better off. It's why I don't recommend just internet searching and buying a weapon.

Offline Aku

• Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2017, 04:18:02 PM »
I have a short sword latex weapon you can borrow at the next event in September.