NERO Atlanta

December 16, 2017, 07:34:57 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

NERO Atlanta » Forum » Out of Game Whatnot » Rules and Policies (Moderator: Knight of Evendarr) » Potion reps

Author Topic: Potion reps  (Read 192 times)

Offline Aku

• Apprentice
Potion reps
« on: May 23, 2017, 03:12:19 PM »
I know potions are supposed to be repped, but I noticed the potions I got last weekend had pictures of a vial on them.  Do these tags need to be repped, or is the vial picture meant to serve that purpose?

Offline Josh Harden

• Journeyman
  • "Eat me if you can!"
Re: Potion reps
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 04:50:40 PM »
My understanding is that you are supposed to have a phys rep for each potion you are carrying. I believe it has have enough volume to theoretically hold 4 oz of fluid.
Owl de Danaan
Sharku Cirith
Marenthan

Offline Sahan

• Adventurer
  • The Awesome
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2017, 06:56:34 PM »
Page 114 under potions:

"All potion phys-reps must be large enough to hold, or appear to
hold, at least a minimum of a quarter ounce of liquid."
Sahan
Keeper of the Coin and Reagents of the Tyrangel Alchemy Guild
Protector of Tyrra
"You're either on my side, by my side, or in my way. Choose wisely"

Offline Josh Harden

• Journeyman
  • "Eat me if you can!"
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2017, 07:19:07 PM »
What he said
Owl de Danaan
Sharku Cirith
Marenthan

Offline Aku

• Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2017, 11:25:09 PM »
I'm aware of the rulebook statement.  My question was whether these tags were meant to represent physreps by the design of them, similar to how the scroll tags are self-repped because they are around 16 square inches. The little potion design on the tag does look like a container that would hold 1/4 ounce. I thought maybe someone was being liberal with the "appear to hold" part of the sentence. 

Also, I saw people using them without reps. But it's not a big deal, I was just curious.

Offline Josh Harden

• Journeyman
  • "Eat me if you can!"
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2017, 06:15:32 AM »
I know that Marentha uses glue sticks cut to approx 3 inches for reps. We just tape the tag to the stick.

I have also seen people just use the tag and I believe that is ok as long as they have a phys rep on them to represent each tag carried. I always assumed that they used the tag to "drink" during play so that they can tear it immediately afterward.

Jonathan and others can answer more officially on the ruling, but my reading is that you MUST have a phys rep for each potion tag or you cannot use the tag. Obviously, there would be exceptions such as someone finds a potion on a mod or in a field battle and uses it immediately. They may not have a rep to go with it on their person and if the game repped all the potions they put out on monsters it would be more costly for them and take away from other areas. That's not the same as grabbing 100 Cure Light tags and putting them in your pockets without reps, which is what I believe the rule was intended to prevent.
Owl de Danaan
Sharku Cirith
Marenthan

Offline Katarina

• Elder Adventurer
  • Baroness Nihaalan Araman-Aviel
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2017, 09:34:28 AM »
The picture on the tag is not a phys rep. It's just for quick visual reference. If you look at a bunch, the level of "liquid" in the picture increases as the level of the spell/effect goes up.

Gas globe tags also have globe's as the picture, and traps have a bear trap on it. You'll still need a rep.
Lady Nihaalan Araman-Aviel
Viscountess Seneschal of the Duchy of Tyrangel

Offline tevlos

• Elder Adventurer
  • Baron Tevlos
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2017, 07:18:14 PM »
All the advise here is accurate. If you plan to use potions that you are carrying, you need to have physical representations that at least could appear to be potion vials or bottles. And enough reps to cover the number of potions you plan to use. The tags are printed with the images just to allow for quick identification and not meant to be used as physreps like the scrolls can be.

If you are carrying potions to sell... I'd say having some reps would be cool roleplay, but not required.

People have some unique ways to rep potions without adding much weight or glass objects to your pouches or bags. Ask around if you need advise or want to know where to get something you might find interesting.

Thanks for asking!

Tevlos
Ranger of Tyrangel
Black Clan
Forsworn