NERO Atlanta

November 20, 2017, 04:05:25 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

NERO Atlanta » Forum » Out of Game Whatnot » Anything Goes -- Within Reason (Moderator: Knight of Evendarr) » Forged Foam.

Author Topic: Forged Foam.  (Read 523 times)

Offline David

• Apprentice
Forged Foam.
« on: September 07, 2015, 09:32:36 AM »
So I have a question.
While at Dragon con I received a card for larp custom weapons from a group of people working for a place called forged foam, I want to order a weapon from them, but I'm not sure if they are Nero appropriate. I have no idea of the way they make their swords. Has anyone heard of them? Can anyone tell me if I would be able to use one of their swords at an event?
If anyone can let me know I'd appreciate it. I don't feel like wasting money.

Offline Sahan

• Adventurer
  • The Awesome
Re: Forged Foam.
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2015, 09:52:28 AM »
Check out their Facebook page. They have some nice looking stuff. I haven't personally used their stuff though so I don't really know how well it is constructed for safety for NERO.
Sahan
Keeper of the Coin and Reagents of the Tyrangel Alchemy Guild
Protector of Tyrra
"You're either on my side, by my side, or in my way. Choose wisely"

Offline KenGillis

• Master Adventurer
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2015, 10:11:24 PM »
They claimed to be NERO safe, and said they tested their stuff at a NERO chapter. Not sure if that passes muster, though.
Evil Overlord Rule #29:
I will dress in bright and cheery colors, and so throw my enemies into confusion.

Offline Jason Delbridge

• Adventurer
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2015, 08:18:03 AM »
Every weapon, from home made tape boffers, to mass produced latex stuff, to plasti-dip creations, is weapon checked on an individual basis before each event (ostensibly) for safety purposes. 

We can't just say a certain type of weapon from any source auto-passes weapons check.  The one time we do that, it will be that one weapon that has a problem and hurts or harms another person.

Looking at their page, their stuff that looks like it is made for Dag and other heavy hitting boffer larps (the cloth hinted stuff) would probably be a bit top heavy for NERO, but their plasti-dip stuff looks like it has the right thickness of plasti-dip on it and the right amount of foam, etc.   I can only do so much without it in my hands for check, though.

See if they have a return policy if a weapon fails a safety check, maybe?

Jason
Safety Marshal and ATL Story team.

Offline Motye

• Estate System Dev
  • Elder Adventurer
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2015, 09:06:09 PM »
As I worked security in the Dealers room this year, I can comment (unofficially as I am not a safety marshal).

Their weapons are well constructed with a firmer foam and leather wrapping on the handle and nice soft foam for the weapon side. I had someone do a decent swing on my back, and while it made a very impressive sound; it did not hurt.