NERO Atlanta

November 20, 2017, 04:09:13 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

NERO Atlanta » Forum » Out of Game Whatnot » Rules and Policies (Moderator: Knight of Evendarr) » Summer Armor and Summer Make Up Rules

Author Topic: Summer Armor and Summer Make Up Rules  (Read 1312 times)

Offline Knight of Evendarr

• Master Adventurer
  • Follow Me!
Summer Armor and Summer Make Up Rules
« on: July 11, 2013, 10:53:21 AM »
Hey all real quick here since that time is upon us again. We all know Ga summers are not unlike those in Africa at times and can be miserable to put it mildly. As such we try to keep safety in mind. We have long had policies to help with this.
Currently "Summer Armor" rules as described in the 9th Edition Rulebook are implemented by the Chapter when temperatures are over 90F or when Temperature AND Humidity exceed 80F/80% (Feels like 90+) *OR* when Chapter Medical Staff deem it necessary for individual safety.

There are NO rules for, and there is no such thing as "Summer Make-up". You are *always* required to meet NERO Standards for your race regardless of weather. This includes Transforms and Golems.

Ryan
~Sir Idrahil Araman-Aviel
 Duke of Tyrangel

Offline Kyra Darkstrider-Nova

• Adventurer
Re: Summer Armor and Summer Make Up Policies.
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 01:48:47 PM »
I know there was a time when we allowed players of full make-up characters to wear "pie face" make-up rather than full coverage during excessively hot events.  Is this no longer the case?  I know make-up generally doesn't present as much of a problem as armor, but it can sometimes cause an issue.

~Kristin
~Kyra Silvercord
   Elemental Champion of Death

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." ~ H.L. Mencken

Offline Traceroo

• Master Adventurer
  • Duchess Vallen Ravenhurst Tyrangel
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 02:58:02 PM »
Make-up done right adds so much to the game. "Pie face" really detracts from the atmosphere, in my opinion. One of the things many of us love best about long-running games like 20 years of Tyrangel is that it gives us an immersive character experience. Many players are loathe to miss even a few events as their main PC, and don't like playing an alt when it's too hot for full face make-up.

A potential solution to this might be the consideration of specialty events in the summertime. Many PCs choose to take time off to play alts anyhow. Back in the early days when NERO had only 2 chapters, the game would sponsor official "Second Character Weeekends" when everyone was encouraged to play an alt for one event.

SOLAR runs "one shot" events which I LOVITY LOVE LOVE which are often in an historical setting, or something like a weekend among your enemies. Everybody gets the chance to play an alt that you'll only play once, and never again. It's a great chance to team up with players who are normally on different teams, or staffing instead of PCing. You can make a one-weekend "dream team" with a combination of players that usually doesn't game together. They're also a fun chance to play a character archetype that might not normally appeal to you long-term. For example, I'd love to play a half-orc for one weekend! I could totally rock that for two days -- long-term? Eh, I'm a little intimidated by the make-up...

...which brings me back to the central point. If players find full make-up burdensome in the heat of the summer, perhaps as a chapter we can find fun solutions for this rather than endure the yuh-huh/nuh-uh debate of whether "pie face" make-up is acceptable. My vote falls firmly in the "nuh-uh" camp -- and at the same time, I'd like to find solutions that encourage everyone to play characters they love, rather than penalize them for the literal color and awesomeness of choosing to play a make-up race in the first place.

Trace

Offline Dorsal

• Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 05:58:12 PM »
Opinions so please don't blast me.

Summer Armor - If its too hot to don your armor then its too hot to don your armor. I am not a fan of summer armor.

Summer Makeup -Pie face or no makeup for a make up race, not a fan. ( I spent many a summer event in GA in full bust Aqua Teal Makeup, and actually miss it, its much easier to get in and stay in character for me in makeup ) If its to hot to wear makeup then there is no better time for you to go NPC or work the tavern and get your 2 hours work time in.

I too Love Love "one shot" or "War Day" Events. These types of events really help build story and help reinforce back story, without leaving the players in the dark. :pirate:

-Derek

Offline Rhys Stormwing

• Elder Adventurer
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 08:50:51 PM »
Sherrie and i had some issues with our Storm Elf tattoos this event, but it was an issue of a bad batch of makeup. i think the only other problem we had was it washing off while we played in the rain( cause Strom Elves do that.)
" Is it better to outmonster the monster or be quietly devoured by it?" - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline mpcampbell

• Apprentice
    • personal site
Re: Summer Armor and Summer Make Up Rules
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2014, 01:22:58 AM »
I've never compromised on armor or makeup but I can at least understand about the armor. Armor is always a trade-off however - protection vs mobility. That it also becomes a trade-off vs heat is the price of the protection in my opinion. While I prefer everyone to be in makeup, I will continue to roleplay with most players in light/no makeup during the summer, except dark elves. Our race is notorious for being hardcore and if you want the recognition - you feel the pain.

With that said, I'll be wearing alcohol activated makeup at the Piedmont event and the one after in Tyrangel. It doesn't come off for anything and is completely waterproof. I did not need powder when I tried it the other day and I could sweat through it without problem. I could wipe my face, and unless I exfoliated the top layer of skin, it didn't leave a mark either. It is expensive ($2/event) and is best applied with an airbrush, both of which are worth the effort. Yolanda learned how to airbrush my makeup in under 5 minutes.

I can help with makeup problems due to rain or sweat, just come see me. I've played makeup races for twenty years and it keeps getting easier as the makeup gets more advanced.

Offline MastersmithTanar

• Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2016, 12:02:21 AM »
 I think if you take off your armor, you lose the protection. And I have played in 85 lbs of steel plate in the Phoenix summer sun.

Offline eldorn50

• Elder Adventurer
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2016, 10:59:25 PM »
            Guys and Gals Do Not take offence and this isn't a major issue, This is an optional rule that was created because I have seen too many people that have gone down with heat exhaustion from wearing armor in the heat, Arizona heat is a dry heat and Georgia heat is a humid heat and it can be a little more dangerous at times. ( BTW I have experienced both types of heat). :templar: