NERO Atlanta

September 24, 2017, 08:33:13 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

NERO Atlanta » Forum » Out of Game Whatnot » Rules and Policies (Moderator: Knight of Evendarr) » Sportsmanship

Author Topic: Sportsmanship  (Read 1048 times)

Offline Hobgoblin

• Master Adventurer
Sportsmanship
« on: October 29, 2012, 08:51:51 PM »
There are times in a game where your character may be empowered to take actions against another character.  In those moments you have a choice... you can do something fun, you can leave them alone, or you can do something that really ruins their event.

We like to have a game environment where PCs can affect the world and interact with it.  That means we are also placing trust in our players to continue creating a fun larp environment for each other.  I am not by any means saying you should never kill another PC, or steal from them, because those can be fun moments for all when done right.  Likewise I am not trying to take all of the authority away from the nobles, who have an IG responsibility to uphold the laws.

But please realize the impact of your actions on the other player, who has just as much of a right to enjoy the game as you do.  Before you issue a noble order, ask yourself if that order is necessary and how it will affect that player.  Before you trap several players in a ward for over an hour, ask yourself if You would enjoy that situation.  If your character really just has to do something terrible to another character, go out of your way OOG to make sure that player knows it was not personal, it was motivated by IG factors, and that on an OOG level you're a cool person.  If you see a new NPC struggling through a roleplay role, help them learn and work with them.  I have never had a new NPC learn how to RP correctly by being beaten down for their mistakes.

Yes, plot creates the story that you are participating in, but players make or break an event for each other far more than you may realize.    It is not plot's job to entertain everybody all the time, it is Everyone's job to entertain everybody all the time.  The best and most memorable interactions are the ones that everyone enjoys.

Offline Roscaweaver

• Adventurer
Re: Sportsmanship
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 02:54:41 PM »
I agree wholeheartedly.

There have been many occasion where "old Brandon" might have gone and wiped the floor with a whole team but " new Brandon" decided that one person since of vengeance does justify ruining a whole teams event. I personally am fine with whatever you do to me but I have had way to many years of exp in this hobby so I try to stay out of hurting other chars events by killing them or ordering them to do something equally as unfun.

With that, I want others to be aware that I will respond to any pc on pc agitation just as equally as it was perpetrated on me. I view noble ordered death, merchant fixing, plot blocking, woods killing all as hostile action, so please don't think that because you are not killing me, you are not attacking me.

B